Raleigh Garage Repair & Troubleshooting
Why won’t my garage door close? This happens to be one of the most asked questions in the garage door industry. Of course, a “stuck” garage door only seems to happens when you’re running late. Luckily, there are a few things that could be causing the problem. Be sure to check everything listed below, before calling Hanson Overhead of Raleigh, NC for Raleigh garage repair.
- Raleigh Garage Repair Troubleshooting Steps
- Vacation Switch or Lock-out Button. Try pressing the button on the garage wall to see if the door closes. If it doesn’t check the lock out switch or vacation switch. Referred to differently, but exactly the same, this button will lead to is standard on almost every opener. They’re good for locking the garage doors at night or while your away on vacation. They can get pressed accidentally. It’s a good idea to check this button regularly to make sure it’s off. When it’s on, it the opener should light up. As long as the light is off, the door should open and close with the remote.
- Check the Door’s Sensitivity. If you’re not comfortable with making adjustments to the opener settings feel free to call Hanson Overhead Garage Door services. We will send out a professional to check the operator. Oftentimes, trying to fix things only make it worse. We understand that! If you are mechanically minded, get the opener manual. Try to locate sensitivity settings with the help of the manual. According to garagedoorzone.com, “Most openers have a sensitivity setting for opening the door and closing the door. Before you adjust the sensitivity disconnect the opener from the door by pulling the emergency release. Check to see how the door balances and moves. If the door is hard to open or close the problem may not be the opener. You may need to call a professional to adjust the garage door. If the door works well manually then reconnect the opener and adjust the close sensitivity. WARNING: DON’T INCREASE TOO MUCH – FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDATIONS. If you put a 2×4 under the door & the opener doesn’t reverse you need to increase the sensitivity or someone could get injured.” Be sure to call Hanson Overhead of Raleigh, NC for the garage door adjustment. We are available 24/7, to do repairs and adjustments as needed.
- Check the Sensors. The sensors, also called photo-eyes, are mounted on either side of your garage doors. Most often, they are near the floor. You will find two sensors. An emitter sensor and a receiver sensor. The two sensors must be able to “see” each other at all times. If they are knocked out alignment (kids, lawn mowers, hoses, garbage cans bumping into them can knock them out of alignment) they can’t communicate with each other. The opener will refuse to work. Anything can knock the sensors out of line; lawn mowers, hoses, kids, and even bumping into them with a garbage can, can cause them to become unaligned. A good checklist to use monthly is:
- Raleigh Garage Repair Checklist
- Check sensors. Make sure they are aligned
- Make sure nothing is blocking sensors. Sometimes a garbage can, broom or other object can get in its way.
- Clean the lens on each sensor. Oftentimes, debris can interfere with the lens, causing the door to malfunction.
- Check wires to the sensors & the one’s going to the power head – make sure they didn’t come loose
- Check & see if sun is shining on sensors. Sometimes the sun can “blind” the sensors and cause them to think an object is blocking the opening. If this is the case the sensors may need moved further into the garage
If you’ve checked all of the above and the opener still doesn’t close the door you can pull the emergency release and close the door manually. It’s usually better to call your local garage door professionals at Hanson Overhead Garage Door Service to take a look before leaving the broken garage door. There could be something seriously wrong with the garage door opener. The sensors or the logic board in the opener may not be functioning properly. Raleigh Garage repair or replacement might be needed.
Remember, if you don’t feel comfortable doing any of the above Hanson Overhead of Raleigh will be more than happy to come out and take a look at your Raleigh garage. No matter the time of day or night, we will be there to help you out! Visit our website for more information on how to care for your Raleigh garage!