Spring cleaning your garage is a great project to tackle now, as temperatures are finally warming up! Though this will be a big job, getting your garage in shape for the summer will be beneficial for many reasons! Hopefully this won’t be too big of a job. Make a goal to get it all done over the course of one weekend in the next couple of weeks. Cooperation from your family members will be a big help so get them involved! Also, it’s important to have a plan of action before you start.
Spring Clean Your Garage | Raleigh Garage Door
First off, get a few large boxes that will contain things you’re going to keep, store, sell, donate and discard. As you clean, fill each box with the appropriate items:
- Keep. This box is for items that you definitely want to keep in the garage. Make sure the items are needed and fit well in the garage without blocking anything important.
- Store. If an item should logically be stored in another room of your house it belongs in this box.
- Sell. Set aside any unwanted items that are in good enough condition to sell.
- Donate. This is for items that you prefer to donate to charity. These items should be in decent and workable condition.
- Discard. Items that are broken or unsalvageable should go in this pile.
Now, it’s time to get the summer gear out. You’ll probably have a great deal of fun summer activities planned. It’s always nice having things on hand when you need them. Go ahead and break out the following items and clean them up:
- Golf clubs
- Tennis rackets
- Hiking and camping equipment
- Car washing kit
- Lawn mowers
- Other landscaping tools and materials
Also spring clean the following, while you’re at it:
- flooring – sweep and mop
- walls – scrub away black marks and dirt
- windows – dust window sills, windows and then clean windows
According to precisiongarage.com, “If your garage is climate controlled, you need to reset the thermostat for cooling and the temperatures to what you prefer during the summer. Clean the air vents and change filters. Also, check weather stripping around the garage door so you are not cooling any more of the outdoors than necessary. It could save you a significant amount of money on your electric bill.”
If you’re interested in talking with our garage door experts about getting a new Raleigh garage door installed, be sure to contact Hanson Overhead, soon! You’ll be surprised by how much better a new garage door will insulate your entire home, saving you money and energy this summer!